Saturday, July 4, 2009

Updates from Squamish


I decided to do a "catching up" blog post of primarily pictures. Here are the best shots from my camera for the last couple of weeks, complete with captions.



San Francisco: The hills were crazy intense in the van - I was thankful Ian was driving!


Sea Kayaking was a blast - the weather held out for us.

We went in a tree on Meres Island. Ian was scared...


They were pretty big trees though!
One of the many starfish we saw while kayaking - I thought they were pretty cool!


Ian showing off his stuff.


Ian showing off his stuff, again.
But it is some pretty good stuff!

This was our booth in Victoria where we sold photography at the market. It worked out really well, and people quite liked the photos. I do think it's worth noting that the very first picture to sell was a picture of my Grandpa Mullin's farm.
There is one small change in the picture vs real life - any guesses?

So I turned 26
at the top of the Chief - a big hike/ rock climb in Squamish. I hiked up early so I was able to watch the sunrise from the top. I had a great birthday!

Complete with a turtle cheesecake and strawberries - Ian believes it impossible to celebrate a birthday without cake.
We've been getting a bit of climbing in lately - this is a climb we did today called Easter Island, a 5.8 trad climb. That's me standing at the top (for everyone who is stressing right now, I'm of course clipped directly into the bolts and totally safe).
And me getting ready to come down on rappel after leading a 5.8!
Ian and I at the top of another climb (Penny Lane, 5.9). The bright yellow helmet is a new addition to the gear - my old one broke, so MEC replaced it under warranty and I decided to get a different style that fits my big head better (as Ian would say 'an orange on a toothpick...')
So that's the update via some photos. Life is going well in the van and we are really enjoying Squamish. There's a fantastic rec centre complete with hot tub, steam room, diving board and lap lanes (all for less than 5 bucks!). The showers are pretty nice too, so we've been enjoying that. Ian claims he has been starving (possibly to death) for the last half hour while I wrote the blog post, so we should head off and get some dinner. Cheers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Ian believes it impossible to celebrate a birthday without cake." Didn't Ian used to make up birthdays, just to eat cake?

Ian: Hey Mike, Isn't it your birthday?
Mike: Nope.
Ian: Sure it is. Look, I got you a cake. Let's eat!